Monday, May 25, 2009

Finding MY way is a waste of time!

The other day, while driving home, I was listening to Third Day. I was singing along to “Revelation”, an amazing song, which I’d heard many times before, when suddenly the words jumped out at me! I love the way the Holy Spirit does that. I heard/sang the part “trying to find my way”, and that’s when the epiphany hit! That’s exactly the problem! I heard that still small voice say ‘People try to find THEIR way, when they need to always be seeking MY way’. Ouch. Proverbs 14:12 says “There is a way which seems right to a man and appears straight before him but, at the end of it, is the way of death.” Honestly, my way is usually wrong, a bad idea, or at least bad timing. Truth is truth. If I haven’t asked the Lord what He wants, then what I come up with is usually off base. That’s because it proceeds out of my unrenewed flesh. Without His leading, I don’t make the greatest decisions. Basically, I do what I want when I want it. But don’t we all have that tendency??? Last week, I was online buying shoes (again), and I heard that quiet whisper that said “Ya know ya haven’t asked My permission lately?” I immediately knew what the Holy Spirit meant. He was so gently bringing to my attention that I’d gotten out of the habit (again) of asking His permission before I do things. Unlike kids who grow up into adults and do not have to ask their parents anymore, we never outgrow that need as a child of God. We always need His direction, His insight, His protection. We need to tap into what He knows, which is what’s best for us...and what’s not. Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Since He is a God Who knows what I need and is my ultimate Provider, why do I tend to think I have to make things happen for myself? Matthew 6:8 says “…for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” And His way is always better than my way. It never fails that, when it’s all said and done, I like His way better! After He prevents my way or I wait on Him for His way, I am always in awe of what all He brought together and how superb it is! So, then why do I always have to fight that tendency to seek my way?!? Why do I think that my plans are better or my timing more perfect or what I want more important than what He wants? I don’t actually have those conscious thoughts, but my behavior, at times, conveys exactly that. Proverbs 3:5-6 reveals the remedy “Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.” As I've become more submitted, I've found my prayer has become "Have YOUR way, Lord". Really, trying to find or get MY way is a waste of time because ultimately (thankfully!) God will have HIS way in my life, and that way is always sweeter and more blessed!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment